Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Mile Run Testing!!

The weather has been GORGEOUS GORGEOUS, when it hasn't been snowing, hailing, or sleeting!!  So, we have been doing mile run testing, weather permitting, of course.  My goal is to have each class in grades 2-5 have two mile run tests this spring.  Depending on the weather, special events, field trips, assemblies, etc. -- some classes may only have one chance at the mile for the spring. Regardless of 1 or 2 trials, I'll record their best score in the FitnessGram, and reports will go home in June.   Grades K & 1 will complete a half-mile run "test".  Unfortunately, FitnessGram doesn't have a space for a half mile test on their reports.  Completing this activity is a cardiovascular fitness activity, and prepares students very well for the mile run test.  The cardiovascular fitness test for grades K-1 will be the PACER test.  See the FitnessGram website for more information, or contact me for more information.  

Students are encouraged to pace themselves, start slow to let their bodies warm up, AND to save their final bursts of energy for the last part of their mile.  If needed, they are definitely allowed to walk - I share with all students that when running, I often take "walk breaks" during my run.  Taking a little walk break lets me catch my breath for a moment, and have energy to jog more over the course of my run.  After students finish their mile run/jog/walk, they continue walking/jogging/running the track until we do a final cool-down stretch before transitioning back into the building.


A class takes off along the "sidewalk track" for the mile.  See the Fitness Testing post for more information.